Portland Perl Mongers: Cisco Log Parsing - Good, Bad and Ugly
Most classes require prior sign up. Please check in at the front desk when you arrive to let them know you are here for the class. Bags must be checked at the front entrance.
Wed. November 12th, 6:53pm at FreeGeek -- 1731 SE 10th Ave.
Speaker: Gabrielle Roth Topic: 600 Simple Strategies for Sanely Summarizing Cisco Syslogs
Syslog is a handy troubleshooting tool, but only if you actually read what's logged. I wrote a Cisco syslog parser & reporter as part of our network fault-management system. We'll go over:
- network management basics
- why we needed this specific tool
- why I created my own tool from scratch (instead of using an off-the-shelf solution)
- how I did it & what the results were, and
- what I'm going to do next.
You don't need to be a Cisco engineer or even know much Perl to get something out of this talk.
As always, the meeting will be followed by social hour at the Lucky Lab.