Portland Perl Mongers -- h2xs is da bomb + dzil Pod::Weaver
Most classes require prior sign up. Please check in at the front desk when you arrive to let them know you are here for the class. Bags must be checked at the front entrance.
speaker: Ian Dees + Joshua Keroes
➜ will cover what it's like for n00bs learning how to create a new Perl module, including:
- Where rookies look for "Getting Started" information
- Which tools we can readily find for the job
- What kinds of questions we have about namespaces
What Ian would like to do to help:
- Listen to your answers
- Format them into some kind of guide (or supplement an existing one)
- Hand it to a Perl expert to post in the right place
- Commit to checking in a couple of times a year to keep the information current
You will be vastly enlightened, or horrified.
➜ will continue down the Dist::Zilla path of Automated Enlightenment and speak on Pod::Weaver.
In July, Duke Leto gave Portland an introduction to Dist::Zilla, demonstrating how it can help write, package, test, and release your modules; automating the boring stuff like figuring out prerequisites, automatically inserting and updating $VERSION's, getting rid of all those meta files and generating them automatically; all good ways to focus on the important stuff: the code.
This month, Joshua will show how Pod::Weaver can help automate the boring parts of writing documentation so you can avoid getting bogged down by boilerplate and focus on the important stuff there: the docs.
As always, the meeting will be followed by social hour at the Lucky Lab.